Fall has officially hit my house and what better way to bake then to make some fresh fall fruit cake? Not that nasty fruit cake you get on Christmas, but a deliciously spiced apple (fruit) cake that supposedly was made by some Germans. I can smell it now! And I wish it wasn't already consumed when I made it last week... and ate 1/4 of it in one sitting. I felt sick the next day but hey, it was worth it. At least I had some apples, that's fruit, so it counts, right?
Well this cake is definitely interesting and if you are an experienced baker, or maybe even experienced in boxed cake, you might think that this recipe is messed up. I did. But I hadn't made anything like this before, so I gave it some hope and it was awesome!
For this cake I used some super duper in season apples from Trader Joes. They were Honeycrisp apples and man were they good. I was tempted to just keep eating them as I chopped them up. Even Nick had a few, which is a major surprise. And what was EVEN MORE SHOCKING was Nick had a slice of this. And he also had another slice the next day. I was so shocked I almost cried happy tears. He normally doesn't eat my sweets unless it's stuffed in his mouth by force. But don't get me wrong, he does like sugar, just in different forms - like in the form of beer. Lots of beer. Scratch that! I didn't say that did I? Oh well.
Did I mention how incredibly easy this is?
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 and 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups peeled chopped honeycrisp apples (I used 2 large apples)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Begin peeling and chopping apples. I chopped mine into small chunks but you can go as big or as little as you like.
- In large bowl, beat eggs and oil until smooth.
- Add next 6 ingredients and mix well.
- Fold in apples, it wont look like you have enough of the cake part, but it will be fine, I PROMISE.
- Pour into greased pie dish or 9 x 13 pan. I topped mine with pecans. Bake for 45 - 50 minutes.