Have you ever gone to the store and returned home with a nail polish you already had?
(Of course without the intention of buying the same color).
I went shopping and my eyes were drawn to a blue nail polish from Revlon. I put it in the cart and it wasn't until I was going over my products making sure I wanted to buy them, that I realized I had that color already. Not only did I have Blue Lagoon, I didn't like the formula, I liked the color but It dried funny. I don't like to return make up, so I was glad that I had noticed it before making the purchase.
I started to think about it, and really, unless I wear the color constantly, like Time Square from NYC, I don't remember all the names of the nail polishes I have. So instead of playing the guessing game and trying to remember while out and about, I thought it would be a good idea to make a list of the nail polishes I did have, with swatches.
I had made this notebook for myself a while back when I was getting my blog started, it was just some cheap little note pad that came with some package, but instead of wasting it I decided to customize it using a map to cover the booklet, kind of like I did in my post A Gift for A Traveler. It fits perfectly in my purse, and is great for writing little tid-bits down for my blog, and now I have decided that it would also hold my nail polish swatches.
I sorted the colors by brand and made a page for each of them. I left the back of the pages empty because each page will hold 20 swatches (20 lines on each page) and 40 front and back.
From left to right, I wrote
#, (Brand Name), ♥, swatch.
#, (Brand Name), ♥, swatch.
You might be wondering why I put the ♥ I put it to represent how well I liked the color, full heart for me is completely love and will buy again, half a heart means like the color but don't like the formula, empty heart means, it sucked!!! and depending on how much of the second half is filled is how much I loved the color on my nails. Talk about organized huh?
So basically all you will need for this is
- a booklet/notebook/journal
- nail polishes
- free time!
- Write out everything first before you do the swatches, otherwise you will be waiting for swatches to dry or trying to write and smearing the swatches instead. (especially if you are right handed)
- Sort by brand. It will be easier to skim through brands then skim through colors.
- Leave a page in between other brands if you tend to buy a lot of a certain brand.
- Keep it neat!
- Use a small journal so that way you can keep it in your purse.So that's it! It's super easy, It's a great way to keep your colors on hand, and you can use it to compare colors so you don't buy colors that are too similar to each other!
Hope you enjoyed! And, that fluffy furry nosy thing in my pictures is name Kiara. She likes to watch me blog and roll my lipsticks off the bed.